57 Ways To Cure A Headache
With tax time starting all over, the economy, and personal problems piling up, it isn’t unusual to feel a headache coming on. With everyone from your mother to that know-it-all coworker telling you what to do, how do you know what’s right for you?
With the help of these 57 ways to cure a headache, you can learn more about dozens of ways to help your problem before trying them out. With several entries in categories ranging from traditional to alternative, you are likely to find several ways to cure a headache.
Best Over The Counter Ways To Cure A Headache
Grabbing a pill is one of the most common ways to treat a headache or any other pain. Below are some of the most known. Make sure to read the label and follow the instructions before taking. If on any prescription medication, be sure that they don’t interfere with each other.
- 1. Ibuprofen : This drug is more commonly known as Motrin or Advil. It works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body. Highs include a smaller dosage and longer lasting relief. Lows include the ability to cause gastrointestinal problems such as heartburn or constipation in a small amount of patients.
2. Naproxen : You may know this drug as Aleve or one of its counterparts. It works by reducing the levels of prostaglandins, chemicals that are responsible for pain. As a result, those who take this drug may experience reduced inflammation and fever as well. However, side effects from this drug can include rash, ringing ear, and even headaches.
3. Aspirin : One of the oldest over the counter remedies, one of the most popular brand names is Bayer. In addition to treating headaches, it is taken for flu, fever, and even for heart health on the recommendation of a doctor. Aspirin reduces substances in the body that cause pain, fever, and inflammation. Side effects are similar to that of Ibuprofen.
4. Acetaminophen : Best known as Tylenol, those who have a sensitive stomach may turn to this. Acetaminophen relieves pain by requiring a greater amount of pain to develop before a person feels it and even reduces fever. However, those who take more than eight pills a day for more than a day or two can experience liver damage.
5. Headache Powder : By using a material that dissolves in water, some headache sufferers may experience relief faster. This popular brand contains 650 mg of aspirin, 33.3 mg of caffeine, and 195 mg of salicylamide. Those who have allergies, asthma, ulcers, or stomach issues should consult a doctor before using.
6. Alka Seltzer : Similar to the above, this product uses medicine dissolved in water to treat headaches. Aspirin is usually the main ingredient. However, there are many varieties for flu, morning headaches, and more.
Best Diet Ways To Cure A Headache
Because you are what you eat, try these foods to help out your headache. A simple dietary switch may be all you need to prevent future headaches.
- 7. Keep It Fresh : Because packaged and frozen foods can be loaded with additives causing various unknown effects, chronic headache sufferers should switch to fresh. A diet lower in meat, especially red, can also help with headaches. If possible, try a switch to organics.
8. Switch to Decaf : No surprise here. The energy caffeine produces in the body may not match output, causing headaches. Caffeine also is a stimulant that can have unknown causes on your brain, which can also lead to headaches. The added side effects of restlessness and insomnia don’t help either.
9. Ginger : This herb can actually be used to treat a migraine headache in progress. It contains a substance called thromboxane A2 that prevents blood vessels from dilating. Use fresh, powdered, or pickled.
10. Honey : This is another entry in the take-as-you-feel-a-headache-coming-on category. Honey has both potassium and magnesium which relax arteries, allowing more blood to flow to the brain. Two teaspoons three times a day should do it.
11. Omega 3’s : An essential part of any diet, they can also help prevent headaches. These fatty acids found in fish or supplements can help reduce inflammation and help the brain function. Omega 3’s are also useful if you have heart issues.
12. Wheat : Do you have Celiac disease and don’t know it? If stomach problems accompany your headaches, it might be the reason. Because seeing a doctor can take weeks, try a gluten free diet while you wait to see if it cures your headache.
13. Diet Your Diet : Many diet products that use artificial sweeteners include aspartame. Those who consume regularly and go prolonged lengths of time without it can experience a variety of withdrawal symptoms, including headache. Try consuming these products in moderation or stopping altogether to see if it cures your headaches.
14. Skip The MSG : Often found in Chinese food, this chemical can trigger pain receptors, increasing your odds of having a headache. Other pain sensitivity can also be cause by monosodium glutamate. It can even be found in other fast foods, along with packaged ones.
15. Elimination Diet : If you have tried the above, and it still doesn’t work for you, consider the elimination diet. If you think your headaches are being caused by your diet, this one helps you cut out all but essential foods. Dr. Sears recommends this for babies with unexplained symptoms. Try for two weeks to see if it helps.
Best Drinks To Cure A Headache
If your medicine cabinet is bare or you don’t feel like any drugs, try the below for a quick and easy fix to a headache.
- 16. Water : Could a case of dehydration be causing your headache? It doesn’t take running a marathon to cause a headache. If you have a headache and can’t remember the last time you rehydrated, try drinking a simple glass or two of water.
17. Sports Drink : If you suspect your workout may be causing your headache, you may be right. The loss of electrolytes can lead to many symptoms such as dizziness, fatigue, and headache. Grab your favorite flavor to see if it cures your headache.
18. Apple Cider Vinegar : A leading home health remedy, it is no wonder it can help fight a headache. Headaches caused by an off pH level can be returned to normal with this fix. Add a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and drink.
19. Cayenne Pepper : Not just a cure for stopped up sinuses anymore. This spice helps dilate blood vessels and improve circulation, helping your headache. Put a half to one teaspoon into a glass of water and drink slowly.
20. Tomato Juice : There’s a reason that the Bloody Mary is the hangover cure of choice, and it isn’t the vodka. The tomato juice found in it can actually rehydrate the body. Vodka can counteract this, so stick to just the juice.
21. Peppermint Tea : If you think your headache may be triggered by a stomach issue, try drinking a cup of this. It can soothe many gastrointestinal problems, curing the headache that was caused by it. A few cups throughout the day should do it.
22. Lemon, Ginger, and Honey Tea : This tea is useful for treating many health problems, including headaches. The three ingredients, when combined, provide many natural healing properties. Best of all, this blog entry shows you how to make your very own at home.
23. Hot and Sour Soup : Because spices can help headaches, this soup can do wonders. Also, the act of relaxing and sipping slowly can be a cure in itself.
24. Chicken Soup : It’s not just for cold and flu, either. The healing properties of a simple chicken broth are unknown, but having a bowl can help your headache. Other health issues can also be helped with chicken soup.
Zen Ways To Cure A Headache
From meditation to yoga, these practices have been around for centuries. Take a look at the below for some help in curing your headache.
- 25. Meditation Can Boost Your Gray Matter : If helping cure your headache isn’t enough of a reason to meditate, how about increased brain power? This report from Live Science and MSNBC chronicles a study that shows just that. Published in “NeuroReport,” the study showed that people who meditate 40 minutes a day can actually change your gray matter.
26. Meditation Handbook : Get a more comprehensive guide to meditation by stopping here. Several types and techniques of meditation are used. You can try the more traditional like sitting or reclining and move onto sweeping and cathartic dancing.
28. Meditation Station : If you’re ready for something a little more advanced to help cure your headaches, stop here. In addition to tools for beginners, there are also more advanced practices. Of note are the over 100 techniques featured, a message board, and much more.
29. Gi Gong For Headache : This meditation is specifically designed to cure headaches. Master Jason Park shows you how in this YouTube video. Simple exercises and more are shown.
30. Daily Meditation : Keep headaches away by taking part in a daily meditation. This YouTube video is ten minutes long and contains help for mediation. Music and images are featured.
31. Breathing Relaxation Exercise : Developed by health and wellness professionals, this exercise provides an easy self-help technique that has been proven to be highly effective in battling stress and sleeplessness. It has also helped people who suffer with headaches and anxiety. A soothing voice guides you through the four minute exercise.
32. How To Get Rid Of A Headache Fast : In this seven minute video, a hypnotist helps a woman cure a headache. Teaching that headaches can be based on emotional expressions, he shows how to heal your body. There are also hypnosis for other ailments.
33. Hypnosis Relaxation : Avoid headaches by using this hypnosis to help you relax. This free video includes binaural beats and hypnosis relaxation. Other parts of the video and related ones are also available.
34. Yoga Poses For Headache Relief : Elizabeth Rose is a registered Hatha yoga teacher who teaches all who watch this video how yoga can cure headaches. Sufferers of tension headaches will enjoy this. There are also many other related videos from her.
Massage Ways To Cure A Headache
Massage is a common method of relieving headaches and can be done by yourself or a loved one.
- 35. How To Massage Migraine Headaches : This entry from Ezine shows exactly how to massage to cure a migraine headache. Pressure points and techniques are defined. They even feature five pressure points to focus on.
36. How To Massage Away A Headache : If looking for a simpler guide than the above, check out this one. It is provided in a few simple steps by eHow. You can also find many related guides.
37. Massage That Tension Headache : In a lengthy article, Associated Content tackles the subjects. Types of headaches and their causes are also discussed. They even include a few instructional videos.
38. How To Massage A Headache Or Migraine Away : The holistic science and spirit expert at The Houston Examiner gives new age tips on how to cure headaches. The art of reflexology is also discussed. She also tells how to follow up and gives other tips.
39. Headache Treatment : Massage Nerd provides many free videos on the subject. In this three part series, he shows how a deep tissue massage can help a headache. For best results, have a loved one watch while performing on you. There are also massages for other ailments.
40. How To Massage Away A Headache : Expert Village is another place to turn to on YouTube for useful videos. In this one, expert Sundae Tomas shows how to massage away a headache. Although she is performing it, you can do on yourself.
41. Swedish Scalp Massage : If looking for a more exotic way to cure your headache, check out this video. Nicole graduated from the Swedish Institute of Massage Therapy and shows how the scalp massage can be the most relaxing part. An excellent way to relieve tension.
Alternative Ways To Cure A Headache
If your mind is more open than your head is pounding, check out these alternative ways to cure a headache.
- 42. Acupressure : If sticking needles into your skin sounds more painful than your headache, this may not be for you. However, results can be impressive. However, acupressure therapists are also known to use their hands, elbows, arms, or fingers in order to stimulate the flow of blood throughout the body.
43. Acupuncture : If looking strictly for needles in the skin, this is the place. It is based on the principle of using the bodies own natural healing powers. This article even uses studies to show how acupuncture can cure headaches.
44. Fumes : If some smells can cause headaches, why can’t others help them? In this folk home remedy, headache sufferers put five drops of ammonia in a half glass of water. Inhaling the fumes is said to help.
45. Ice Pack : If you have a migraine headache, give this a try. Putting an ice pack to your head cools the blood vessels, relieving pressure on the nerves. Also useful if you put the ice pack on the back of your neck.
46. Eucalyptus Oil : Add this to your next headache massage for best results. If you put a few drops in a carrier oil and massage on your forehead, it should help. The scent is also effective against tension headaches.
47. Feverfew : This plant is a member of the sunflower family and has been used for centuries as a home remedy. Take a few leaves and chew. It is also useful for arthritis, fevers, and menstrual pain. Not recommended for pregnant women or young children.
48. Menthol : No, smoking won’t cure your headache. However, menthol sold at health stores can be helpful for curing headaches. Massaging it into the temples can have a calming effect.
49. Foot Bath : Soaking your feet in warm water does more than relieve aches and pains. It can also cure a headache. Try adding some Epsom salt if it doesn’t work.
Best and Surprising Ways To Cause A Headache
So you don’t have to cure a headache, avoid the below triggers, both well known and uncommon.
- 50. Stress : We all know that stress causes many health issues. In fact, there is even a special designation for headaches causes by stress. Also known as tension headaches, it is estimated that over one third of adults experience them one or two times a month. If you fall into this category, that overbearing boss or bickering with your significant other may be the cause.
51. Dehydration : As discussed earlier, a simple glass of water can be the cure to a headache. According to this site, three out of four Americans don’t drink enough water, and it is a major cause of headaches. Because dehydration leads to lower electrolytes and off balance pH levels, they can trigger even migraine headaches.
52. Teeth Grinding : Since it is done at night while you sleep, it can be a surprising cause of headaches. Grinding your teeth at night can be a sign of stress, vitamin deficiency, and other causes. Health 911 recommends supplements and even a custom mouth guard. If you feel this may be the cause of your headaches, try seeing a dentist first to see if they agree.
53. Being A Woman : Another of life’s perks to being a woman is the added headaches. It is estimated that 15-17% of women suffer from headaches, whereas men come in at the five percent range. A common factor of this is the premenstrual migraine headache. At this time of the month, women experience a drop in estrogen that can lead to a headache. The best thing to do is reach for one of the above treatments.
54. Your Hairdo : Sure that ponytail may look nice and was convenient, but did you know that it could be causing your headaches? If a frequent ponytail wearer and headache sufferer, try taking it down to see if that helps. Earrings and headbands can also cause headaches.
55. Weather : It isn’t that common, but changes in air pressure can trigger pressure in your head. Changes in air pressure can also have adverse effects in many other health aspects. “USA Today” has more.
56. Cologne : If feeling good is more important than smelling good, why not try skipping your daily dose of cologne for a few days to see if it helps your headaches? Although it isn’t known exactly which scents cause what, it is a good idea to avoid as many as you can if you experience chronic headaches. This includes switching to unscented detergents, soaps, and related products.
57. Sex : It has been shown to relieve stress, but can it also cause headaches? Yes, according to Dr. Dave and Dr. Dee. The coital headache can occur during foreplay or right before orgasm, and this blog entry has much more.
If your headache is unbearably painful, seek the help of a physician or an emergency service before turning to these 57 ways to cure a headache. Chronic and/or painful headaches can be the sign of a serious health problem and should be treated professionally.
Find MRI Technician Schools Near You
Search our database of 350+ colleges and universities to find the right program for you.